Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Old Furniture...New Room

So, where do we begin....I guess the best place to start is where we left off - the elephant in the room...literally...the armoire.  Great news, I never had to make that big decision of whether to repurpose it because it sold on Kijiji very shortly after my last post.  Yay!  It was a great piece but way too big for my house and with the way that I like to move furniture around, it just wasn't practical for us.


Where does this leave us? We have a beautiful new flat screen tv, no armoire and a buffet that has been moved from the kitchen to the living room.  


So, here's what we did.


The buffet top was removed, we packaged all the glassware that was in it into a tote for the time being as we are doing a kitchen reno which will accomodate it in a couple of months.  One major concern with this idea is, what do we do with the top half of the buffet.  It is a good storage piece and I really don't want to throw it away because some day I might want it as a full unit again.  I am a huge fan of upcycling furniture and reusing it in different rooms and in new ways and it is a beautiful solid wood piece from Ikea.  It is almost 10 years old and looks as great today as the day we got it.


Here is a look at how we repurposed the bottom part for our beloved new television.



And this is our first attempt at using the top portion on it's own....by the way...this was the hubby's idea (shhh, don't tell him I told you).






It didn't really work, it just became a wide open dumping ground.  The storage part was great as it held craft supplies and cookbooks but obviously this just would not do, so we moved it to the laundry room where I am currently in the process of trying to create a craft/studio space, though I'm not too sure that is going to work out since the space is unfinished....sigh....I digress.  


As for that messy space above, more about that to come in future posts so stay tuned for a major transformation.


By the way does anyone have any great solutions for the empty expanse of wall above the tv? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to hear your comments on a post so please keep them coming. However, due to spam issues, I will be approving comments before they are posted so I apologize for the inconvenience and delay in seeing your comments on the post. Thank you for your understanding.

~Lisa